Sunday, October 27, 2013

female legs & pink flamingos - the secret behind real beauty

While I continue to hear and read about all the bad things that happen to human minds using Facebook or other social networks, I wish to put that aside for a bit here. Let me just add one detail. In some comic drawings, they illustrated Facebook as being today´s drug - worse than heroin!

I would like to write about something slightly, no...far more..no completely the opposite of the digital world today. I would like to talk about nature.

Have you ever heard of Fibonacci?
He was an Italian mathematic during 12th Century Pisa. But I would like to suggest that his knowledge went far beyond the limits of what is considered mathematics of today.

Fibonacci discovered some relations between certain numbers, of what we can call "magic numbers". This relation is an important pattern whcih many artist, architects, musicians use to achieve a work in harmony with nature. Why is that?

Yes, because the same pattern as Fibonacci found between numbers, you can find in nature. You can see it in flowers, butterflies, crystals, dolphins or trees which are some of the most preciously beautiful creations we have on earth.

Not only. World famous musicians such as Johann Sebastian Bach and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart both used the series of Fibonacci to create their music. 

So, what is my conclusion here?

What nature made is beautiful and filled with harmony. What was created this way always will be.







At the contrary, a lot of what is created today is not in harmony with natural laws. Consider modern pop music, modern art, modern buildings and cars.

During my recent trip to Rovinj, Croatia, I was wondering how some places seems so incredibly magical, while others appear to have no soul at all. I strolled around the narrow white cobblestoned streets, surrounded by the blue ocean, marveling at the pastel colored buildings created by the Venetians during the 15th-17th Centuries. I was just out of breath of all this beauty human kind was capable of.

Then, I thought through all the countries I have traveled, all the cities I have seen, all the historical buildings I kept vivid in my heart. And all the most amazing creations I have seen, made by human kind, have always been at least five hundred years old.

Take Alhambra, outside of Granada for instance. This Arabic kingdom, located in Spain, has its origins from the 13th Century and is one of the world´s masterpiece considering geometria and perfection in art.

Angkor Wat, Cambodia, is another case of human creation affined with perfection. It was also constructed around the same time, during the 12th Century.

So my theory is that people living five hundred years ago, or longer, they had an eye for building in harmony with nature and perfection. They knew what beauty was. Their only interest was to serve beauty, and no other interest which might prevail today such as economy, comfort or efficiency.

I would by this like to say that today´s crisis is not so much a crisis of economy, as it is a crisis of values, of culture and of beauty.

I wish human beings could learn from the past, rather than building stuff that they think will be enjoyable to look at in the future. In my view, Fibonacci was right all the time. We don´t need to look into the future for beauty. Real harmony can be found today, in nature.








No comments:

Post a Comment