Tuesday, March 27, 2012

music can cure your heart


There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in
                                                Leonard Cohen, master in arts
           




In my last post I was writing about how facebook is a world which makes me feel disconnected to the essence of life and the surrounding universe. I wrote that on the other hand there are many things which make me feel connected, amongst them are animals, traveling, passions, people etc. 
I do not know how I could forget one of the most amazing of them all: MUSIC!
Music has like no other managed to open my heart to the world in a unique way. On certain occasions, only music has the power to penetrate my heart and soul and leaves me without breath. 

Here I am going to tell you one of my stories about music, though there are many more to be told. 
I once went to a small concert in one of the old quarters of Beijing, in the old town, the hutongs. The concert was held in an old style indoor patio, very colorful and cozy. The ambient was warm and friendly.
Though everything seemed like the perfect setting I was not feeling well at the time. I was feeling blue, lonely and isolated from the world. I was feeling lost.

As the music started and the three musicians set down, playing exotic oriental instruments, something happened. Just as the main musician started to stamp his feet where he had attached some bells, and played on the strange looking guitar, some of my inner strings started to move as well. It was as if the vibration from the instruments was affecting my body, which also started to vibrate.
Then, when the arabic musician started to sing a song from a forgotten era, it was as if I was traveling back in time, thousands of years. The music took me on a trip in time and space. It was vibrating and moving.

At one time he played a song which was rather sad and I cried one tear. Then again, he played a happy song and I smiled with my whole face. He also let the audience participate in his music by repeating the mystical words he was singing, and then moving our shoulders they way he did. As time went by, my whole body and soul was merged in this oriental vibration of sounds. My head was not longer ruling over my body, my soul was transfered into this amazing rhytm. I felt like dancing although I was sitting down.

After the concert I walked over to the oriental musician to ask if he was going to hold any more concerts. First thing he did when I approached him, he hugged me. It was a huge, warm hug, and long.
I told him it was an amazing concert and that his music made me cry. He told me that if his music made me cry, then that was the best effect he could have wished for. Cause, if people laughed or cried, then his music had reached each and every one's heart. 

Then he told me something I will never forget. He said he saw me when he walked into the patio. He felt my heart was cold like a stone. Then after the music started he had seen me moving, and my face smiling. He felt my heart was open at the end. His music had turned my heart warm again. The effect of the music was healing my heart. 
When he said these things, I was chocked. I had never noticed him looking my way during the concert, and I never thought anyone actually could feel what I felt. He could connect to my heart, in some subtle way. That to me was something new.

After these words of wisdom, we sat down and spoke for a while. He told me I should start doing some tai chi. Which I already did at that moment. It turned out we had some more things in common. He was born in Lebanon, but spent most of his life living abroad. France is where he resides. He speaks six or seven languages, I cannot quite recall. But maybe the language he knows the best, is music. Cause music can actually be the most powerful, unspoken language people have ever known. It is an unspoken language between the hearts. No other language is needed if you have music. It can fill your soul and body with love. It can cure your heart. His name is Abaji.



2 comments:

  1. Anna, it's really makes me smile and I be glad to read youre words about music. Sure, music IS the most powerful language.

    Every morning when I eat breakfast together with my 1 year old little son, Emmanuel, we listen to P2, I'm so glad we have 'public service' so that people have a chance to listen to music like classical, jazz and what's called "world music" especially without advertising. You got really interesting music there.Emmanuel follow the sound of different instruments and he also reacts on the dynamic, the pause, the silence, the fortissimo...I´s so nice to listen together with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to music is a great way to connect to others! You do not need any words if you can sing or play an instrument. The earlier a child learns to play an instrument, the more developed he or she will be in communicating with the rest of the world. Because music is a powerful tool for transmitting feelings. It is amazing to see how small children learn to sing and dance, before they can even speak. I wonder if rhyt'm is to be found in our blood, in our soul or in our DNA. I have seen children with South-american parents who start to dance even before they can walk. I once sang a song for a one year old German boy who couldn't talk, but he sang with me with a wonderful shine in his eyes. Music lifts you up and take you to another ground. Maybe we even could hear music in the place where we were before coming to earth. If we belonged to the stars, then the stars should be playing music in the sky.
    Well, at least in my mind, the sky is the limit.

    ReplyDelete