Saturday, August 17, 2013

upupa sings a song for me


During crisis and pain, we can discover love. In a desperate situation we are filled with unconditional love. The word crisis is like cross roads. Violence and pain cannot stay in a space full of love and light. Angels landing from above, dissolving the dark wherever they go.


The other day I was amazed. While laying in the hammock reading a book, a small upupa bird (hoopoe) shows up.
It came to sit just within three foot-steps of reach. It was looking at me with curious eyes. It looked as if it wanted to tell me something, but I couldn´t understand it´s language. I just had a subtle feeling.


I had to find out more about this incredible bird, which was so pretty to me. Not only was I impressed by it´s colours, but also the soul felt light as its feathers.


I read that it´s name was given by a Swedish ornithologist, Mr Linneas in 1758. By that time the bird was common on Swedish ground. It used to be common in England as well, but was later (after the 50s) extinguished, probably because of the overuse of pesticides in agriculture.


I wonder if this particular individual could come flying from Egypt. In ancient Egypt, upupa was considered a sacred bird, it was forbidden to kill it and it was often illustrated on thumbs. I am sorry to know that life is not as sacred in today´s Egypt.


In Greek and latin mythology the upupa is instead considered to be a despicable in the Metamorphoses of Ovid. When the king of Thrace, Tereus's wife Procne (learnt of the rape of her sister Philomela by her husband) servs dishes cooked with the meat of their son Iti, Tereus tries to kill her and is turned into a upupa while Procne became a swallow and Philomela a nightingale. The god´s choice of  the upupa comes from the crest of this bird that indicates royalty, while the long, pointed beak recalls the violent nature of King Tereus.






In the Bible, upupa should not be eaten, since considered the bird of sin.


In the Coran upupa is a messenger.


In old Persia, upupa is considered the bird of virtue.


In Europe the upupa was considered a thief, just like the magpies. In Scandinavia, on the other hand, seeing an upupa was associated with an imminent war. The sound of the bird hip hip was a prediction of a non-peaceful period of time.


In the Baltic countries, hearing their singing is an omen of death to humans or animals. They use to think the upupa was able to establish a contact between the realm of the living and the death.


After reading the history about upupa, I wonder if the choice of Israel to use the upupa as its national bird was just a random one.


I do believe us humans were more connected to human earth once. We felt nature, and nature could speak through us. Most of us lost this deep connection to mother nature. So my feeling is there is some truth to be found in the knowledge of the past regarding the upupa.


However, the bird confuses me. Why did it show up on August 14th, the worst day of killings in Egypt. If it really is supposed to be the "bird of death" then why did I feel like it was telling me to live my life as much as I could.


No comments:

Post a Comment